Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On my way to the top...

My good friend and future bankroll, Josh Massingill, recently informed me that I was the world's worst blogger...So I'll see what I can't do about posting something now and again.

I decided to start with a name change...I thought "'round the world" was kind of lame since my plane flight was only about 3 1/2 hrs and I'm still in the same hemisphere as you all. So as I got to thinking about it "A big gringo named Shrimp" seemed a little more appropriate. While that may seem kind of weird, just bare with me will I explain...

Since "Cameron" doesn't really roll off the Spanish speaking tongue very well, my gringo companions suggested that I try using "Miguel" since my first name is Mikeal--pronounced Michael--but since I wasn't used to introducing myself that way, Miguel didn't stick...

I kept introducing myself as Cameron, only putting a little accent on it. But even then the people kept struggling with it, especially the campesinos (poor farmers...probably because they don’t have any teeth). There really is no equivalent to my name in Spanish, nothing like John=Juan or James=Santiago...the best I've got is "CamAron" followed by a few sheepish grins.

For those of you who don't know, CamAron translates to "Shrimp". So it has kind of turned into a joke...a 6'2", 200lbs gringo being called shrimp by a bunch of malnourished short people...its quite the ice breaker and I think I'm starting to make a name for myself.

Whether I'm in the jungle near our clinic or in the mountains near my home, its not uncommon to hear "Que tal, Shrimp?" or "Shrimp! Que pasa mi amigo?" There are even a few that refer to me as Shrimp (using the English word). Just the other day I was in the airport, 4hrs away, in the capital when the shoeshine boy, whom I had never met before shouted out (in Spanish) "Hey Camaron, you want to get your shoes shined?"...I'm on my way to celeb status...

5 comments:

  1. ¡Finalmente! Un 'post' nuevo. Para mi, siempre serás un camaron :). Gracias por las noticias, pero me habías prometido que si te mandaba una carta me ibas a escribir...estoy esperando respuesta :) ! Hope you are well we continue to keep you and your work in our thoughts and prayers.
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear shrimp,you are encouraging me and my family through your notes. May God bless you.--lottsa hugs, Julie Hamby Hounsel

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, you know those aren't the first people to call you shrimp. mom probably was! i hope you're doing well and we keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you were BIG time Cameron! :) This post was great and made me wish I was flying there tomorrow!!! MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna try ONE MORE time, this site does not like Poppa h. I am researching Goat Handeling Equip, feeders, Head-Gates, etc, need those two items, sent you a link to their Site. Tell me what you think? Jeff had an EXCELLENT lesson tonight, mema was porely, we did not go to small group, Clint called, I attended services in town, Dicky is sorta low-sick, stayed home. Think I'll get a tape of Jeffs lesson, sure good use of analogies,eye on the marker keeps plow furrows straight, Stock Market,etc. placing one's hope in things material which can and have, DISSAPPEARED into thin air, recently! Contentment was his Subject, and tied it beautifully to its relationship to EXPECTATIONS and right values. I sure appreciated it---some who'd been heavy in "The Market" got squirmey though it seemed. Afterward me and "Pea" Green were visiting about his "Bath in the mkt" and I shared I'd been up and down several times, UP perhaps more comfortable but in all honesty, down as in at present, is not bad, got a roof, groceries, good friends and loving family, obedient dogs and a boat, what more does a feller need? Several reported how much they enjoyed you last REPORT, ya spoiled em, their lookin for you to do good again :-).
    Love you son, and happy for you in the Lords work there. Say HOWDY to Brother & Sister Brown,
    Poppa & Mema H

    ReplyDelete